Saturday, July 12, 2008

The FOCAs Marriage of Convenience

I've spent much of today catching up on my blog-reading, particularly checking out those from "the other side," to see what they've been making of the GAFCon fallout, the CoE vote on consecrating women to the episcopate, and so on.

Reading some of the arguments among those who comment on SFiF and at BabyBlue's site, I'm struck again at what a bizarre alliance has been struck among the FOCAs (those in the Fellowship of Confessing Anglicans, spawned by GAFCon). Calvinists and Catholics. Those who support women's ordination (including some priests who are women) and those who view it as anathema. Folks as different as +Iker (who loves to play dress-up and has a very "high" view of the priesthood and the sacraments) and +Jensen (who probably doesn't even own any vestments and thinks it's a fine thing for lay people to preside at "the Lord's supper). The mind boggles.

Fortunately, one of my favorite gift stores already has a poster just made for the FOCAs.



5 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

Thanks for that post Lisa and your willingness to brave the toxicity of some of those blogs. Too bad that they couldn't agree to disagree with us right from the start!

7/12/2008 5:19 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks, Robert.
But I can't do it often. Saturday seems to be reserved for my reading of The Toxic Blogs. Fortunately, I can then go to church on Sunday and feel the loving embrace of Christ. Without that, I'm not sure I could read them.

I'm with you. For the life of me, I do not understand how they can "agree to disagree" on such fundamental, sacramental issues, then declare us heretics and apostates with whom they will not talk.

7/12/2008 6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FOCA.... Let's see now, am I pronouncing that correctly? As in MotherFOCA? I know I can't be the only one wondering about that.

7/13/2008 1:44 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Very quick and clever, Lindy. I made nothing of FOCA. But apparently it's quite the acronym to our British friends.

7/13/2008 2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess it depends on where your mind is... alas, I have revealed myself.

7/14/2008 6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home