Saturday, June 14, 2008

Bush and Benedict

I Don't Get It!

It was all over the news Friday that Pope Benedict received President George Bush at the Vatican. Bush, in his ever-elegant style, apparently greeted the Pope with a jovial, "You're looking good!" About like one Good Ol' Boy would greet another down at the local watering-hole.

The Pope shared Precious Moments with the President at the grotto where the former says his daily prayers. How special.

By contrast, this Pope will only meet secretly with the Dalai Lama (in 2006) or not at all (in 2007).

Help me understand this. The Pope is very happy to meet with Bush, the mass murderer who has sent thousands of Americans to their death in an unjust war, who has supervised the death of tens of thousands of Iraqi and Afghan civilians, who officially supports torture, who put more people to death in Texas than any other governor.

But the Pope is happy to receive Bush at the Vatican and to visit him at the White House. They're chums, don't ya know.

But for the Pope to meet with the peaceful Dalai Lama would just be too risky or inconvenient.

I can't help but envision how Pope Benedict would receive a request to meet with our Presiding Bishop. I expect he wouldn't even acknowledge the request. You'll remember how Rowan had to knuckle-scrape his way into the presence of the Holy Father.

Who the hell is this man??

13 Comments:

Blogger Suzer said...

More and more I see the divide as between people for whom "right belief" (whatever that means -- as long as you agree with their particular belief, I guess) is much more important than "right action."

And of course, power, control and empire. But that would take tomes to discuss, so I won't. :)

6/14/2008 11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why are we surprised? Religion is no different than any other human institution. It's about power and politics. In your own church, look at Rowan Williams. Look at Peter Akinola. It's power and politics.

Religion, not faith. I take pains to point out the difference.

IT, atheist gadfly

6/14/2008 12:06 PM  
Blogger Fran said...

Resident Catholic blogfriend hangs head in shame.

What can I say?

I frankly wish we were all one - on terms that neither Rowan Williams, Peter Akinola or B16 would probably approve of.

But that Jesus would.

6/14/2008 2:11 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Suzer, in this instance, I disagree. "Right belief" can't cover it. Bush and Benedict agree on the sanctity of life up until the moment of birth. But Bush has NO respect for life after the moment of birth. The Pope pretends to. It just doesn't add up. Is agreement about abortion enough to wipe out the thousands of deaths for which Bush is responsible?

I am just livid. Absolutely livid!

6/14/2008 9:49 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

IT, with sadness I must agree. We've seen it all over the place. It is about power. It has nothing to do with the good news that Jesus of Nazareth preached.

I know you're uber-smart. So I assume you know I was being ironic in my initial post here.

As I read my bible, both Bush & Benedict have totally screwed-over the message of Jesus. A pox upon both their houses!

6/14/2008 9:52 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

My dear, dear Fran: You don't have to hang your head anymore than any other Christian or American does. This kind of crap gives us all a bad name, I believe. Power meets power and declares that power is good; that's what I hear from the meetings of Bush & Benedict.

I did not mean to be Roman-bashing. I meant to express my profound grief at what is done "in the name of Christ" by so very many of our spiritual and temporal "leaders."

My dear, your RC church doesn't have a lock on hypocrisy. By no means!

6/14/2008 9:57 PM  
Blogger Suzer said...

I didn't mean that their beliefs exactly line up. I guess I meant it in a more general way, in recognizing each other as Christians, versus the Dalai Lama, who is not Christian. I meant belief in Jesus, rather than agreement with specific RC dogma or doctrine.

6/14/2008 10:02 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

I know/knew that, Suzer!

And I'm with you all the way.

6/14/2008 10:42 PM  
Blogger Fran said...

Lisa - I did not think for one minute that you were Roman bashing at all.

That is why we all must together find a new and better way.

And somehow, slowly - we will. As you say - Benedict and Bush represent power gone mad.

I am very glad to have all of this community out here on the 'tubes, I truly am.

6/15/2008 5:08 AM  
Blogger Fran said...

Lisa - I do not want to appear to be trolling for comments or blog visits, but I write this to you in the comments as I do not have your email.

You do not have to post this comment as it is for you.

I do not know if you visit my blog or not, but I did write a post last night which does link to you.

Anyway, come read if you wish. And no worries if you not!!

Pax my sister.

6/15/2008 5:11 AM  
Blogger Fran said...

Clearly thought you had comment moderation on! Well - I will leave it.

6/15/2008 5:11 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

I'm happy to have your comment and link here, Fran. And, yes, I read your blog every day or two.

6/15/2008 8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, I got it, Lisa. :-)

IT

6/15/2008 3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home