Friday, May 30, 2008

What's up at EpiScope?

Ever since its launch in February 2007, I've visited EpiScope daily for an amazing round-up of mainstream news stories about the Episcopal Church, the Anglican Communion, and the various provinces of our Communion. I've been constantly amazed at the blogmaster's deep and broad sweep of the worldwide news media. Nobody – not even the amazing Kendall Harmon – could hold a candle to EpiScope's coverage of worldwide Anglican news. And I enjoyed the blogmaster's humorous corrigenda when journalists "got it wrong." I counted on EpiScope to report the good, the bad, and the ugly. That's been true all the way up through May 23.

Now, all of a sudden, EpiScope is nothing but a re-run of Episcopal Church press releases. Absolutely no news. Certainly no journalistic hand at work. If anything, it looks like the blogmaster has swallowed the sycophant pill … or like an iron curtain has dropped over the site. I already subscribe to Episcopal Life Daily. Has EpiScope become nothing more than a warmed-over rehash of ENS?

What the heck is going on??

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe with Lambeth happening in June, 815 just couldn't afford to have the kind of coverage of world Anglicanism we've come to expect from epiScope, and so have given the staff something of an early summer vacation.

I personally am eagerly awaiting the return of epiScope as we've known it: an encyclopedic reference point for "how others see us" as well as how we see ourselves, and in an invaluable source of correction for outside media who are seeking to do their jobs well, but have few able hands to guide them through the morass of church politics.

Here's to epiScope being back to full strength as soon as the staff vacations -- or whatever has led to the recent dive in quantity and quality of posts -- end.

5/30/2008 8:53 PM  
Blogger Jeffri Harre said...

Jan's mother recently died, and I believe Jan is the primary writer for epiScope.

You will notice that there are lull's whenever there's a big conference or meeting going on. I expect that there will be another lull the week after next when Executive Council is meeting.

5/30/2008 11:36 PM  
Blogger Jeffri Harre said...

And welcome back, Lisa. I'm very glad to see you posting more often. I really appreciate how you look at things.

Peace & Hugs,
Jeffri

5/30/2008 11:41 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks for the calm words, Dylan & Jeffri. I sure hope you're right. As far as I know, nobody else has tried to do what EpiScope has been doing. I miss it.

And thanks for the kind words, Jeffri. I hope I can keep it up.

5/31/2008 8:23 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

I'm with ya, Cranmer49! EpiScope has been too valuable for us to lose it now. I'm going to hope it's just an anomaly.

6/01/2008 12:48 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Ten days and counting. EpiScope posted another ENS news release today. No new content.

What's up??

6/02/2008 7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home