Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Milestone: Barbara Harris

The daily e-mail from Episcopal News Service reminded me of this milestone: On January 3, 1989, the House of Bishops consented to the election of Barbara C. Harris, the first woman bishop in the AnglicanCommunion.

Happy anniversary, Bishop Harris!

A friend told me one of the back-stories of Bishop Harris' consecration. She had threats not unlike Bishop Robinson faced. The altar guild ladies guarded the wine, because there were threats of poisoning. After all, this was the first woman to be consecrated bishop in the Episcopal Church.

Years later, I met her in Philadelphia, and years after that I had a chance to chat with her here in the Diocese of Missouri. We are blessed to have her in our church, and I am thankful she was made a bishop in our church.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

I was there - it was amazing. When Bishop Browning handed her the mitre, she looked down at it, he said "go for it" --- she put it on - the place went nuts! I always said "I couldn't be in Bethlehem but I was in Boston."

1/03/2008 9:25 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

What a delightful story, Ann! I wish I had been there.

1/03/2008 10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home