Friday, December 28, 2007

On Preludium

Mark Harris had better watch out! If his PhotoChop skills keep improving at the current rate, he's really going to tick-off the current master of PhotoChoppery. Mark's most recent – and one of his best to date – offering is here. It's a gloss on Jesus' statement to his disciples (from John 16:12): “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now."

The Tempter is working hard on me, for I would dearly love to post Mark's graphic here and bask in some of his reflected glory. But I shall exercise restraint. I will not copy his work here; instead, I send you over there to set his sitemeter to spinning even faster. Oh, but the temptation . . . ! Must. Stand. Firm. Against. Temptation.

Thanks, Mark! This is a gift to the Church.

P.S. While you're visiting that page at Preludium, do be sure to read the comments. One "Brian F" actually writes this:
As regards using that quote to sustain the idea of ongoing revelation, you need to remember the context in which Jesus spoke those words. He was speaking to the twelve disciples in the Upper Room on the last night he had with them, not to us. He knew he was going to see them again after his resurrection, which they didn't know at the time. This gave him another 40 days or so to fill them on all the details which would have only made sense to them after his resurrection, which are now recorded in Scripture, not continuing to be revealed to us.
That's right! God's revelation stopped cold on the day of Christ's Ascension. I now know that's true, because the "orthodox" BrianF tells me so. Thus, all those innovations we've cooked up since the year 33 C.E. are heresy. I had never heard the interpretation that BrianF offers there. I. Am. Gobsmacked.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mark Harris said...

hi love...post it where you will. Just copy the image and pass it on. Thanks for the spin on the sitemeter.

12/28/2007 9:09 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Get thee behind me, Satan! I long to post it here. But it would be vanity. Folks need to go to your page, for they will find so much more wisdom there, beyond this marvelous piece.

{groan}Exercising restraint. Still exercising restraint. {/groan}

12/28/2007 9:15 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

What I wonder is why all the reasserters continue to use Father when Jesus himself in RED words says "call no man father." When did they get that revelation?

12/29/2007 11:59 AM  
Blogger Malcolm+ said...

So the nouveau orthodoxiste cut-off for revelation is the day of Our Lord's ascension into heaven?

Used to be the uber-rigid believed the Holy Spirit only dies after the Council of Ephesus.

12/30/2007 12:12 AM  
Blogger SCG said...

Saw this first at Preludium this morning, and I'm still chuckling at the truth and the humor of what Mark Harris is saying. And I, too, am always...ummm...interested in Brian F.'s intrepretations (God revealed the Word once, and one time only, and doesn't continue as a presence in the world!--Yeah, right) I note you didn't bother to include his slam on the ECUSA, claiming that we think the Gospel of John is a "fabrication". That was another interesting note from dear Brian F.

12/30/2007 7:41 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Yes, Malcolm+ and SCG. Call me sheltered. But in all the reading I've done at conservative sites, I have never, ever heard that revelation ended with Jesus' death. Talk about your "innovations"! Glad you appreciated it.

SCG, re: my not jumping on Brian's accusation, remember (from my earlier post) I'm trying to be "kinder and gentler." And it ain't easy, with opportunities like that presenting themselves . . . let me tell you. {g}

12/30/2007 8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home