Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Tremors Abound

Surely I'm not the only one who has had this experience. I learn a new word, and in the next few days, I find myself encountering it all around me. Or I learn a new concept, and suddenly I hear it on the radio, see it on TV, and discuss it with friends.

ET has been like that. First there was this important event: I learned that another parishioner has the same diagnosis. She's one of those about whom I have written before: She and her husband are among the most anti-gay people in my parish. But it turns out that we share a common, seldom-diagnosed disease. When I learned this fact, I actually leapt for joy: Finally, she and I would have something to discuss. Sure enough, I sought her out this past Sunday during coffee hour, and we had a very warm conversation, sharing stories and talking about coping mechanisms. This truly, deeply pleases me. Finally! – at last! – she and I have something to discuss that doesn't have anything to do with the Church's current unpleasantness. I have hopes that – if we can get better acquainted as individuals – perhaps all that "political" stuff can recede (as it should) to the background.

And the tremors abound in this way too: I was in the grocery story this week, and found myself in line behind a woman who obviously has some kind of movement disorder. I could see her head bobbing and jerking. I wanted to reach out to her and ask her whether she has sought medical guidance. But I didn't. I was too timid. From what I read, ET is way-seldom diagnosed. Very many people just don't try to talk with their docs about it. I don't want to become the ET emissary. But it sure is hard to see somebody suffering, and not intervene.

I'm sorry to be so self-absorbed with the ET thing. But, for now, I really am kinda absorbed by it. I suspect that will pass with time. Please be patient with me, as I work past it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God always finds a way to bring his peeps to a common understanding. I know that the "tremors" are a hard row, but look at the miracle that has come because of it. Not only for the commonality, but look at how it may help open closed eyes. TBTG!!

11/21/2007 11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home