Sunday, March 04, 2007

Consents

It's late and I'm tired, and I probably should not post tonight. But I am sick unto death.

I learned today that my diocese's Standing Committee has consented to the consecration of Father Mark Lawrence to be bishop of South Carolina. Those of you who follow these matters as compulsively as I do are familiar with Lawrence. He's the guy who thinks the Episcopal Church is apostate and heretical, and who says (clearly enough for my ears) he will honor his private conscience if he has to choose between remaining in the Episcopal Church and having tea with the Queen and Archbishop. When I saw Kendall Harmon's report that my diocese's Standing Committee has voted to consent to Lawrence's consecration, I could not believe it! But I have now confirmed it with members of our Standing Committee.

I recognize my bishop is already prepared to sell out all the gay men and lesbians in the aftermath of Tanzania. His letter -- posted here for now -- makes it pretty clear to me.

I hear our Presiding Bishop telling us we just need to "forebear" a while on our baptismal covenant.

Now that I learn that our own Standing Committee really did consent to Lawrence ... I really do have to ask myself yet again: Why not just leave? If a man who hates the Episcopal Church can become a bishop in our church while gay men and lesbians are told to remain second-class citizens in it ... then why bother? Why the hell bother to put all the energy, devotion, and resources that we queers have been contributing?

There are just two little words that I would like to say to my diocese's Standing Committee. Unfortunately, my baptismal covenant draws me back and prevents me from saying them.

Addendum: The Admiral of Morality has done a much better job than I of explaining why consent to Lawrence as a bishop in our church is a travesty. Go there. Read that.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...hates the Episcopal Church..." Have you ever spoken with Father Mark? I didn't think so.

3/05/2007 9:40 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

No, I haven't spoken with him. He has refused all requests for one-on-one interviews.

Yes, I believe he hates The Episcopal Church. I hear that in his written words - which is all he has allowed to be published.

And your point . . . ?

3/05/2007 10:29 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

He has had plenty of invitations to speak to the whole Episcopal Church. Why would I -- a little nobody who didn't even get to vote against his consecration -- try to call him?

People on the national level, however, have tried to call him and ask him to talk. He refuses even to acknowledge their requests.

So ... your point ...?

3/05/2007 11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home