Thursday, January 04, 2007

New Year's Resolutions for Cats

I think this little ditty has made the rounds several times over the last few years, but it struck my funny-bone and I'm in need of a laugh, so I am posting it here anyway. But, frankly, I despair of my cats' keeping such strict resolutions.

My human will never let me eat her pet hamster, and I am at peace with that.

I will not slurp fish food from the surface of the aquarium.

I will not eat large numbers of assorted bugs, then come home and throw them up so the humans can see that I'm getting plenty of roughage.

I will not lean way over to drink out of the tub, fall in, and then head straight to the box of clumping cat litter. (It took forever to get the stuff out of my fur.)

I will not use the bathtub to store live mice for late-night snacks.

We will not play "Herd of Thundering Wildebeests Stampeding Across the Plains of the Serengeti" over any humans' bed while they're trying to sleep.

I cannot leap through closed windows to catch birds outside. If I forget this and bonk my head on the window and fall behind the couch in my attempt, I will not get up and do the same thing again.

I will not assume the patio door is open when I race outside to chase leaves.

I will not stick my paw into any container to see if there is something in it. If I do, I will not hiss and scratch when my human has to shave me to get the rubber cement out of my fur.

If I bite the cactus, it will bite back.

When it rains, it will be raining on all sides of the house. It is not necessary to check every door.

I will not play "dead cat on the stairs" while people are trying to bring in groceries or laundry, or else one of these days, it will really come true.

When the humans play darts, I will not leap into the air and attempt to catch them.

I will not swat my human's head repeatedly when she is on the family room floor trying to do sit-ups.

When my human is typing at the computer, her forearms are not a hammock.

Computer and TV screens do not exist to backlight my lovely tail.

I will not puff my entire body to twice its size for no reason after my human has watched a horror movie.

I will not stand on the bathroom counter, stare down the hall, and growl at nothing after my human has watched the X-Files.

I will not drag dirty socks onto the bed at night and then yell at the top of my lungs so that my humans can admire my "kill."

I will not perch on my human's chest in the middle of the night and stare until she wakes up.

I will not walk on the keyboard when my human is writing important adagfsg gdjag ;ln.

If I must claw my human I will l not do it in such a way that the scars resemble a botched suicide attempt.

If I must give a present to my human guests, my toy mouse is much more socially acceptable than a big live bug, even if it isn't as tasty.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes
and when the pigs have stopped flying around, there will be world peace, the election of a president who admits it when he gets something wrong, the Temple will be rebuilt in Jerusalem, I'll win the national lottery (even though I don't enter it) and my cat will stop attacking my dogs just for the fun of it.
Cat resolutions.
Dream on.

1/05/2007 2:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny! The "herd of thundering wildebeests" sounds awfully familiar. :)

1/05/2007 7:05 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Ah, but MadPriest, I am a dreamer! Thus, you shall win the lottery and come to America, where we need you so desperately.

Yeah, Suzer, I thought you'd recognize that one.

1/05/2007 9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home