Friday, December 29, 2006

Seeking Bloggers' Counsel

It appears that there's increasing pressure to convert our blogs over to the "new" Blogger. I'll confess I've been very, very hesitant to do so. This little blog seems to be working ok, and I am loathe to do anything to change it. My techno-savvy ranks about a lowly "3" on a 0-to-10 scale. I've learned to do the few things that I need to do here. But if I had a problem, I doubt I'd have enough knowledge to go into the template and fix it.

I've looked at the scant documentation that Blogger provides about the conversion process. But to me, it appears they're just singing 8 different verses of "Trust us, it'll be a snap!" followed by a chorus of "No problem!" I am more than a little skeptical, for I have visited some blogs shortly after their conversion, and they were a mess.

Are there other sites that address the issues of converting to the new Blogger, which I just haven't been able to find? And, remember, they need to be sites that are the equivalent of "Blogger Conversion for Dummies."

So I'd like to invite you all to kick-in here in the comments section and give me whatever tips you've picked up – or whatever websites you've found helpful – in your conversion process. [And, yes, as one who frequently writes about church topics, I am indeed aware of the double-entendre of using a phrase like "conversion process." But let's not get into fine points of theology just now, OK?]

I have heard that there's a way to "archive" all my entries and current settings so that, if there's a meltdown during the conversion, I could restore the blog as it now exists or could at least re-post all the entries. But exactly how do you do that?

What problems did you encounter in converting to the new Blogger? How did you fix them?

And – mind you – whatever tips and counsel you can offer need to be given very, very simply. Assume I'm an idiot when it comes to HTML, web design, and all this technology stuff, and you will be correct.

Thanks for whatever tips and "words to the wise" you can offer.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dunno; I just hit the button and everything seemed to go over fine. But, then, I only had a few months to change over. I remember trying to get on Mark Harris' blog, Preludium, and it kept coming back as 'in transit,' so he might have had problems. Perhaps it's because my blog is so unsophisticated that I encountered no problems. Mostly, it's the nuisance of having to set up yet one more email account I won't be using. Good luck.

12/29/2006 10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no problems "converting". My blog is simple and it converted immediately. I didn't have any pictures at that time, but everything works well in the new Blogger for me. Good luck.

12/30/2006 8:44 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Lisa, in my blogging travels, I have read some that say DON'T change because of technical issues and once you change over, you cannot change back. I like my blog as is, and apparently so does Susan Russell and some others, whom I am sure have pondered the same question. Yesterday the Blogger Beta server was very down; this is not to say the regular one doesn't. I say, if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Cheers!

12/30/2006 9:52 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks, y'all, for these comments. So far, I'm hearing nothing that makes me eager to take this gamble.

Caminante, Mark's was indeed the one I saw that was such a mess after he made the transition. It looks and seems to be working fine now, but I do wonder what was involved in "fixing" it.

12/30/2006 1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I switched it over a couple of weeks ago. After looking at it dubiously for a while, I decided, "What the heck."

I did copy my template first -- just in case.

It seemed to take all day, but converted over okay. I don't notice any difference -- nothing easie -- in making a blog entry, but I use a Mac, and Blogger is a Windows deal.

[It's sometimes saaaaad being a Mac in a Windows world]

I can change fonts and colors, now, which is kinda cool.

I'm not very techno-savvy, either. I wish I knew how to import more fonts and add graphics to my title thingy!

12/30/2006 3:08 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks, Pat.

Quick follow-up: How did you "copy your template"? Talk to me like I'm a 4-yr-old.

But I'm encouraged to hear the switch went smoothly -- especially since (like mine) yours has a whole bunch of images and links.

Finally: Yes, I do recognize that you Mac users are an oft-neglected minority in the virtual world. You have my sympathies. And my envy. I don't have the nerve to be part of yet another minority. /vbg/

12/30/2006 3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just opened the template, highlighted the whole template, and did a copy command (remember I'm on a Mac - commands are a bit diff), which I then pasted onto a blank document .... just in case.

All my links to other Web sites stayed after the conversion, but added graphics like the Episcopal shield disappeared.

The new deal does make it easier to punch in new graphics, etc.

12/30/2006 4:43 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Kaeton said...

I'm so glad you asked this question, but nothing I've read so far make me enthusiastic about changing. I'd like to hear more.

And, if you have to talk to Lisa like a 4 year old, talk to me as if I were still in utero.

Pictures help. The only reason I can put Ikea furniture together is because there are pictures.

1/02/2007 4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home