Monday, October 02, 2006

Sunday update

I'll start with the obligatory – and increasingly boring – medical update. Fortunately, I think there is progress, and I attribute much of this to the prayers that I know so many of you are saying. And let me say here how touched I am to know my name was spoken in parishes all over this country today. Friends, as I sat in my parish, I felt the power of your prayers!

The twitchiness in my left hand and foot side are subsiding. I'm not sure I have "normal" motor control there, but at least I don't feel they want to do the St. Vitas [sp?] Dance tonight.

Right hand seems to have marked improvement. I can spread my fingers laterally, pretty much at will! And can sort of wiggle them to and fro, sometimes. One of my personal benchmarks about wrist movement has been this: I hold my hand out with my wrist dangling there. As recently as church today, I couldn't do anything with it. But this afternoon, I realized my wrist can send some commands to my hand: I can raise my hand maybe 40 degrees upward! Not yet enough to keyboard or wash dishes or shave my legs or pet the cats … but heck! it's way more than I could do 12 hours ago!

I do still plan to call my doc tomorrow and see what she says. Maybe it'll just be another 'sit tight.' Or maybe the EMG.

And now that things have slowed down, I need to stop and give thanks. Folks in my parish have been most generous – far, very far beyond my expectations. One friend spent that first, very scary night with me. And paid bills for me – and even carried off my laundry to wash for me. Thanks, C! My priest came by one night, brought dinner, stayed for a really good conservation, and anointed me with healing oils. I had never done that outside church, but it was a powerful experience – just her and me and the Spirit here in my house. I was overwhelmed. Thanks, J! Another couple just dropped in yesterday to visit. But before it was all done, they did dishes, brought me lunch, and tied my shoes. Simple things like that are a huge help. Thanks, S&R! And many others have called to offer encouragement and ask what they could do. It's been rather overwhelming for this usually-self-sufficient ol' broad.

If you've been reading this blog, you'll know I was quite uncertain about my 'standing' in this parish in the wake of GC06. Those doubts and questions have been put to rest. Quite. For reasons I still fail to understand, they love and care for me.

No, that's not true. I think I do understand the reasons. These folks really do believe – as I do – that we are the body of Christ in this place, charged to care for one another. It's humbling to be on the receiving end of that care right now. But I also know if the tables were turned – as they certainly will be another day – I'd be right there for them.

Without asking them which of the 39 Articles they ascribe to. This is Spirit stuff. The rest is trifles.

1 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Prayers continue to ascend, Lisa. My parish is also praying for you.

10/02/2006 7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home